Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2016

Review: Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke



Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke

Series: - • Published: March 22nd 2016 by Dial Books
Pages: 352 • Format: E-book • Genres: Young Adult, Mystery
Goodreads | The Book Depository | Amazon | Website

Rating: 2/5 stars

Every story needs a hero.
Every story needs a villain.
Every story needs a secret.

Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.

What really happened?
Someone knows.
Someone is lying.



My review


First sentence: “The first time I slept with Poppy, I cried.”

I don't know what to make of my thoughts about Wink Poppy Midnight, and I don't really know how to review this book. I didn't particularly like the writing, the characters nor the story, but it was definitely not a terrible book, just not my cup of tea, I guess. I found this book so, SO odd and awkward.

I read at Goodreads that Wink Poppy Midnight was supposed to be a little like The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (one of my favorite books EVER) and I was extremely intrigued. EXTREMELY. But I was so disappointed, because it was nothing like Mara Dyer. Maybe the mystery part, but nothing else.

Nothing really happened. The story just went on and on and on in an unknown direction, supposedly against the plot which was one of the things I didn't like. It was just too much anticipation for a plot that in my opinion didn't change nor mean anything. The writing was in a way too poetic, and it was certainly too repeating for me to enjoy it. And the story was super slow as well, so it gave me an even worse impression of the book. The book was 350 pages and I remember things that would cover, maybe 10 pages. And I wanted to like this so bad.

As aforementioned, I didn't like the characters either. I didn't enjoy one perspective over the other and I didn't find any of the characters interesting, which I guess the point was.. Because I can understand that other people found them interesting while reading the book. Poppy was too mean, Midnight was too easy to convince and Wink was just odd. I found them quite flat and boring.

One thing I liked though, was the world where the book took place. I would've loved seeing more of it. It really gave me the creeps, in a good way, and it reminded me of the Beautiful Creatures world, kind of. Dark and magical, beautiful and all that. I loved it very much.

Have you read Wink Poppy Midnight?

Did you like it more than I did?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Filippa!

    Saw you moved and had to check it out! I love the design and everything :) Sorry this book didn't work out for you..I've never read it but the cover looks beautiful! I probably won't read it now that I've read your review though.

    Great review,
    Kate @Read and Dream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kate!

      Thank you so much, I'm happy you like it :) I agree, the cover is beautiful.

      Delete