Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Review: A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas


A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #2 • Published: May 3rd 2016 by Bloomsbury
Pages: 640 • Format: E-book • Genres: YA/NA, Fantasy, Romance
Status: read from June 10 to 15, 2016
Goodreads | The Book Depository | Amazon | Website

“I was not a pet, not a doll, not an animal. I was a survivor, and I was strong. I would not be weak, or helpless again. I would not, could not be broken. Tamed.”

Rating: 5/5 stars



It's always hard for me to express my love for a book that I really, really love and with words explain how brilliant a books truly is, so this will for sure be a real challenge because I won't be able to write every thought down. Deep breath.. OKAY let's go!


First sentence: “Maybe I'd always been broken and dark inside.”


That it was so much better than the first book!

I adored the first book but the fact that book two was better makes me so happy.. How often does that happen? Basically never. I usually don't read books with more than 400 pages, and I'm so happy I gave it a try with this book specifically. 640 pages is quite a lot for me, but I couldn't imagine the book having less than that amount of pages.

Rhysand

Rhysand is an incredible character and I love him to the moon. In book one I was team Tamlin, and the question is: HOW???? I'm totally on team RHYS now, there's really no other choice for me. Rhysand is such a flawed and sad character but he is the best ever. He's hilarious and incredibly flirty too when he's around Feyre and I love it. And the part where he thinks he's worthless is so heartbreaking, because he's so far from being just that. Feyre is perfect for him – they are perfect for each other. And: I loved that we got a chapter written from Rhysand's point of view!

Feyre

Feyre's development is so impressive and so is she. I love her as the main character in this story. She is so ordinary yet extraordinary on so many levels. I really care for Feyre, especially in this book, and I think she'll develop even more in the next book. She is fun and stubborn, and she's overall totally awesome. And the thing is, she is a character I really "connect" with, that is: I understand her decisions, her ideas, thoughts etc. And she doesn't annoy me, like a lot of protagonists usually do.

The romance

Well yeah, the romance (between Feyre and Rhys in particular) was amazing. Nothing else matters really. The romance is steamy and hot as hell (on a scale from 1 to 100 it's a 10000. For real). Gosh, you can't imagine, if you haven't read it of course. There was more sex in the first book if I recall, but it was less love involved set side by side with the sex in this book if that makes any sense (perhaps that depends on the fact that I love Rhys and Feyre together, I don't know...) I loved that Feyre and Rhys took their time as well (in comparison to Feyre and Tamlin). And, Rhys is such an amazing partner in my opinion if compared to Tamlin. Sorry not sorry Tamlin, I don't like you no more.

The Night Court

The night court is such an incredible group of creatures, and I love all of them.
  • Cassian: he felt like a Lucien "stand-in" (I loved Lucien in book one so it's a positive comparison) in the night court and I really liked him as a character and Feyre's friend. He was entertaining and really fun.
  • Azriel: he wasn't as fun as Cassian, but I liked him anyhow. Azriel, in comparison to his friend, was such a broken character. Both of them (Cassian and Azriel) were the perfect male group of friends for Rhys. My heart ached so much every time Azriel looked at Mar. 
  • Mor: she's the perfect friend for Feyre. She was badass, like Feyre and Amren, and the three are the ultimate girl trio. She's basically Rhysand, but a girl (they are cousins after all). I really liked Mor, but she needs to realize things.
  • Amren: she was so cool and interesting and super powerful (I still don't know how powerful she really is??). She is, as well as Mor, a really good friend for Feyre. I love how she, throughout the book, develops such feelings for her.

The book was actually hilarious

I laughed out loud plenty of times and that wasn't something I thought I'd do. I marked so many passages I found funny. I loved Feyre's and Rhysand's notes a lot and also when Feyre practiced writing sentences. Besides, you could find quite the amount of vulgar jokes in this book (because, well: Rhysand) and that was rather fun.

"Rhysand is a spectacular person. Rhysand is the center of my world. Rhysand is the best lover a female can ever dream of." - chapter 11 (18%)

The ending

The ending was fantastic, in my opinion. At first, I was a bit scared about what might happen, but it turned out so well. Things went down fast, but the thought behind it all (thank you Sarah J. Maas) made me so happy, because there was a secret plan! How amazing is that? I loved that the reader (as well as any other character except Feyre and Rhys) was kept outside for a moment before the final secret was exposed (in Rhysand's chapter I think it was). In the end, I really liked how things turned out although it broke my poor heart a little. I think the ending was perfect for this book.

17927395Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

Have you read this series? Do you love it as much as me?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this book! I loved it a lot too and thought it was so much better than the first book. Rhysand <3 I agree, Feyre definitely developed a lot in this book. I can't wait to see what the next book will hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad too! I won't be able to wait until May next year♥

      Delete