Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2016

Review: The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison


The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison

Series: -  Published: June 1st 2016 by Thomas & Mercer
Pages: 288 • Format: E-book • Genres: Thriller, Adult Fiction, Mystery
Status: read from June 23 to 25, 2016
Goodreads | The Book Depository | Amazon | Website

Rating: 4.25/5 stars



I was really intrigued by - and excited to read - this book. Super excited. I'm so pleasantly surprised by how The Butterfly Garden turned out. I liked it very much.


First sentence: “The techs tell him the girl on the other side of the glass hasn't said a word since they brought her in.”


The premise is so interesting and the story sounded different from what I've read before so I felt that I needed to read this book. And I absolutely loved the story idea and the work put behind it. This book is suspenseful and so full of mystery. I am a sucker for all things mystery, i.e: I really liked this book. It was never boring, and I couldn't put it down. The idea about the butterflies, which basically is the most important aspect of the book, is just sick and made the book so wicked and lurid.

The characters, especially the girls in the garden were a complete mystery (mostly because I didn't know anything about them). I sometimes like when I know just a little about characters, and it worked pretty well in this book. Maya, being the main character, we know more about and that's the person we get to follow in The Butterfly Garden. I really enjoyed the way she told her story and the way to book was written. First from FBI agent Victor Hanoverian's perspective and then Maya's (whenever she decided to open up and tell him about her time in the Garden). It definitely made the reading experience more alluring. I liked Maya's perspective more (because the Garden = fascinating).

The book was vicious and actually really scary at times. I found the parts with the Gardener and/or his oldest son the most twisted. The "rituals" the Gardener and the son put the girls through were certainly the hardest and most aghast parts to read. I didn't enjoy those scenes at all, they were only disturbing. Trigger warning: rape

Though, I was disappointed with how the book ended. And I was rather confused. I think the last chapters were quite puzzling, at least when Maya decides to tell the truth about who she really is and what she knows. The "secret" was not what I had expected and I think I had too high expectations as for what the secret would be, because I found it boring and not too exciting nor at all thrilling. But that's something I can put aside, because the book was actually a pleasant surprise!


AND! I read on the author's blog that there will be a second book out next year (Roses of May), like a companion novel to The Butterfly Garden. And the book is maybe going to be a movie! How exciting?! Read more here.

17927395Near an isolated mansion lies a beautiful garden.

In this garden grow luscious flowers, shady trees…and a collection of precious “butterflies”—young women who have been kidnapped and intricately tattooed to resemble their namesakes. Overseeing it all is the Gardener, a brutal, twisted man obsessed with capturing and preserving his lovely specimens.

When the garden is discovered, a survivor is brought in for questioning. FBI agents Victor Hanoverian and Brandon Eddison are tasked with piecing together one of the most stomach-churning cases of their careers. But the girl, known only as Maya, proves to be a puzzle herself.

As her story twists and turns, slowly shedding light on life in the Butterfly Garden, Maya reveals old grudges, new saviors, and horrific tales of a man who’d go to any length to hold beauty captive. But the more she shares, the more the agents have to wonder what she’s still hiding…

Have you read this book? Did you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment