Posted on Friday, July 29, 2016

Review: Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat


Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat

Series: Captive Prince #1 • Published: January 28th 2014 by Berkley
Pages: 240 • Format: E-book • Genres: Fantasy, Romance (M/M), LGBTQ+
Status: read July 28, 2016
Goodreads | Book Depository | Amazon | Website

Rating: 2.5/5 stars



Trigger warning: rape, pedophilia, abuse/torture


First sentence: “ "We hear that your Prince," said Lady Jokaste, "keeps his own harem. ”

My thoughts on this book are so extremely mixed -- I don't even know where to start. There is so much to say!! And I still want to know more about the world.

Firstly, I read this in one day (which is something that doesn't happen very often, almost never). And secondly, I'm fairly surprised that I even liked Captive Prince the slightest considering all the disturbing aspects of the story. I have never really been, and will probably never be, a fan of books like this (rape, pedophilia, torture/abuse -- master/slave relationships) because they make me feel super uncomfortable, troubled and overall upset.

Why did I even read it? Well, I knew that the majority of people speak of this book as "the best ever" and I wanted to see for myself. And also, I really want to read the second book (since people praise that one as "even better than the first" -- and because it's more about, what I've heard, Damen and Laurent's relationship?? I hope it is, because I missed that in the first book). I really want to know what's wrong with Laurent (I have a feeling I already know). Meaning this, I will go on to the next book, and probably the third one as well but not yet.

I got Game of Thrones feelings reading this book, which perhaps isn't that weird. It's the same kind of world (different kingdoms at war), trigger aspects (rape, abuse etc.) and you know where I'm heading. But it's definitely not by far at the same level as GOT (which has the most complex world and thousands of characters..). It was like a few chapters of GOT, sort of?

I hated the Reagent (Laurent's uncle) SO MUCH. He is disgusting and terrible and so awful. And should I like Laurent or not?? Was he kind (according to a character he was)??? Did I like him a little? There are so many questions. I think I dislike him more than I like him, but I still turned out to like him more in the end. And from what people say, I'll grow to maybe even love him (??) later on. I liked Damen a lot (great main character -- I love the hidden identity idea and the fact that he never felt like a slave in the palace), and Erasmus (I will read the "extras" part in the end of the book to learn more about him). And I feel so sorry for the little boy, Nicaise.

The second half of the book was SO much better than the first, let me tell you. It was much more interesting and thrilling (and just easier to get through) -- and much more was happening and I grew to like Laurent more because he showed more of himself?? At least he decided to help Damen in ways that meant a lot to him. The first part was the most disturbing one in my opinion and it almost made me stop reading, but I didn't. I tried reading the upsetting parts really briefly and then moved on.

The writing was mostly great -- the reading flow came easily -- but the world building wasn't too impressive. It's definitely a story driven by the main character and his actions, nothing else. The book was quite a page-turner and it was also fast paced, being only 240 ish pages. Likewise, I enjoyed the fantasy part of the book!

I'm excited to read the next book and I really hope it will be as good as people say it is. I hope to see characters developing, relationships evolving and more action -- and I think I'll get that.

17927395Damen is a warrior hero to his people, and the rightful heir to the throne of Akielos, but when his half brother seizes power, Damen is captured, stripped of his identity, and sent to serve the prince of an enemy nation as a pleasure slave.

Beautiful, manipulative and deadly, his new master Prince Laurent epitomizes the worst of the court at Vere. But in the lethal political web of the Veretian court, nothing is as it seems, and when Damen finds himself caught up in a play for the throne, he must work together with Laurent to survive and save his country.

For Damen, there is just one rule: never, ever reveal his true identity. Because the one man Damen needs is the one man who has more reason to hate him than anyone else...

Have you read this book? Did you like it?

1 comment:

  1. SVAR kommentar 1: Svarade jag på din förra kommentar??? Om Stephen King?? För jag kommer inte ihåg, haha. Men i alla fall, varje gång jag läser Stephen King hamnar jag i en typ av koma, känner mig alltid tom. "Hur ska något kunna slå det här?". Allt är så välskrivet och handlingen är alltid så fängslande - speciellt i Under The Dome, vars serie inte är värdig namnet. Stranger Things tror jag brukas kallas "Stephen King's greatest hits", och King själv har hyllat serien. Men tror inte den är baserat på något specifikt!

    SVAR kommentar 2: Är också väldigt skeptisk gentemot Tyler. Har inte sett honom i något annat förut, men det är nog precis som det är för dig - tycker Cavill är så perfekt i rollen. Förstår inte varför DC är så fast vid att ha två separata universum!! Det finns endast en säsong av Supergirl hittills, men jag kanske råkade skriva något annat!

    ReplyDelete