Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2016

Review: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab


A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

Series: Shades of Magic #1 • Published: February 24th 2015 by Titan Books
Pages: 401 • Format: E-book • Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
Status: read from July 26 to 27, 2016
Goodreads | Book Depository | Amazon | Website

Rating: 2.5/5 stars



A lot of people absolutely adore this book, but I'm afraid I'm not one of them. I dove into this book, knowing basically nothing (except magic, Londons and pirates), and I was so incredibly excited -- but it turned out it wasn't for me.

First sentence: “Kell wore a very peculiar coat.”

I’ve been reading this book all day. Not necessarily because I loved it, only because I was slightly interested in how it would end -- and if everything would turn out ok for the characters. I’d say I’m pretty happy with how the story ended, and I kinda want to read the second book (I’m not in an urge to do it soon though).

I found A Darker Shade of Magic very interesting and fascinating at first, because the premise is so cool, with multiple Londons, magicians and dark magic (and everything else basically). But everyone raved like crazy about this book which led to me having very high (too high) expectations. After about 100 pages, I wasn’t curious, and didn’t care much for the plot and the characters. The book was slow paced and I felt the same WAITING-feeling I felt while reading This Savage Song (I suppose it’s the writing). I just wanted something impressive and surprising to happen (which it didn't in my opinion).

In general, I liked the story, but as I said: I found it slow and there wasn't much that surprised me. + I really liked the parallel Londons, that's a unique idea.

17927395Most people only know one London; but what if there were several? Kell is one of the last Travelers—magicians with a rare ability to travel between parallel Londons. There’s Grey London, dirty and crowded and without magic, home to the mad king George III. There’s Red London, where life and magic are revered. Then, White London, ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. But once upon a time, there was Black London...

Have you read this book? Did you like it?

6 comments:

  1. Aldrig hört talats om den här faktiskt! Kul med tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Om du väljer att läsa den så hoppas jag att du gillar den!

      Delete
  2. Yeah I really really didn't like this book. I found it to be incredibly confusing and weird. I didn't even know what London he was in at times! It just wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really was confusing sometimes!

      Delete
  3. Jag håller med dig helt och hållet! Tyckte bra om den, och den andra, men är ändå inte helt såld. Vet inte riktigt vad det är men nånting är inte helt "hemma" för mig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jag ska försöka mig på att läsa den andra boken, men jag är lite osäker på om jag kommer gilla den. Hennes sätt att skriva är jag inte ett megafan av, men jag får se om jag ändrar mig efter A Gathering of Shadows!

      Delete