Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2016

Review: Please Don't Tell by Laura Tims


Please Don't Tell by Laura Tims

Series: -  Published: May 24th 2016 by HarperTeen
Pages: 368 • Format: E-book • Genres: Young Adult, Mystery, Contemporary
Status: read from June 25 to 27, 2016
Goodreads | The Book Depository | Amazon | Website

Rating: 3.25/5 stars



I liked this book. It wasn't amazing nor fantastic, but it was good - I enjoyed it. I love mysteries, which is why I decided to pick this up in the first place (and also because the synopsis was interesting). The blackmailer's identity really surprised me and I liked that I didn't see it coming.

First sentence: “I'm hiding in the bathroom.”

I didn't really know what to anticipate when I picked this book up, but I'm pleased with it still. It turned out to be the kind of mystery I was looking for, although I had wanted something, I don't know, more grown up? The characters seemed rather young/childish to me, but it is a YA after all. It was a quick read and it was thilling so I'm happy with it nevertheless.

The characters were nothing special to me, honestly - there's no one I remember thinking of the book. This book had a lot of weird relationships as well as weird (kind of) characters. I liked Joy more than her sister Grace, but I didn't like Joy much either. Joy's POV was for me much more enjoyable to read because yeah, I didn't like her twin. My two favorite characters were Lev and Joy's best friend *insert name I do not remember*. They were cool. And also, I reeeeally liked Adam Gordon's friend (the guy with vitiligo)!

The story was not too unique when I come to think about it. It was only last week I started watching a TV-show, Marcella, with the same kind of storyline ("I don't remember if I killed that person, but I think I did" etc.). The book started out pretty boring and I consider it starting when Joy gets her first letter, which is when the mystery starts.

The aspect I liked the most with this book was the threatening letters Joy recieves, because I am as I've said before, a lover of mystery. I liked that the blackmailer was kept secret until the very end and I'm also really happy that I didn't expect it to be the person it turned out to be. I can imagine people suspecting it to be that person, but I didn't (although now when I think about it, I can see it being that character a bit more clearly...).

17927395Joy killed Adam Gordon for what he did to her sister, Grace. At least, that’s what she thinks happened. Now Adam can’t hurt anyone ever again, and her sister can be free from the boy who harmed her.

But someone else knows what Joy did, and they’re going to out her as a cold-blooded killer if she doesn’t expose the scandalous secrets bubbling just below the surface of her mundane town. As the demands escalate, and she finds herself falling for Adam’s half brother, Joy must figure out the blackmailer’s identity before everything spirals out of control.

Have you read this book? Did you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment