Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2016

Super Mini Short Review: All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood


All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

Series: - • Published: August 9th 2016 by Thomas Dunne Books
Pages: 353 • Format: E-book • Genres: Adult Fiction, Romance
Status: read from August 14 to 18, 2016
Goodreads | Book Depository | Amazon | Website

Rating: 4/5 stars



This book is one of a kind, because I have never read anything like it before.


First sentence: “My mother always started the story by saying, "Well, she was born in the backseat of a stranger's car," as though that explain why Wavy wasn't normal.”

I have mixed feelings about this book, but I know for sure that I liked it. Really much. As the title suggests, the story truly is ugly and wonderful, but it's also honest, dark and unique. I didn't particularly enjoy reading it because of its dark side, but it made me feel things and that's as important, if not more, to me.

As a lot of people have already said, this book is not for everyone and I agree. I couldn't even guess that this book would, or could, be something for me to like, but it was. Surprisingly enough.

I had to add this cute constellation GIF from Tumblr because 1) it's accurate and 2) I love space!


17927395As the daughter of a drug dealer, Wavy knows not to trust people, not even her own parents. It's safer to keep her mouth shut and stay out of sight. Struggling to raise her little brother, Donal, eight-year-old Wavy is the only responsible adult around. Obsessed with the constellations, she finds peace in the starry night sky above the fields behind her house, until one night her star gazing causes an accident. After witnessing his motorcycle wreck, she forms an unusual friendship with one of her father's thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold.

By the time Wavy is a teenager, her relationship with Kellen is the only tender thing in a brutal world of addicts and debauchery. When tragedy rips Wavy's family apart, a well-meaning aunt steps in, and what is beautiful to Wavy looks ugly under the scrutiny of the outside world. Kellen may not be innocent, but he is the fixed point in Wavy and Donal's chaotic universe. Instead of playing it safe, Wavy has to learn to fight for Kellen, for her brother, and for herself.

Do you want to read this book? / Or have you already read this book? Did you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment